Friday, March 13, 2015

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

  The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is a book given a high rating by many famous book reviewers.  It’s on the good side of many librarians, it has a Young Adult Book Award, has a National Book Award, and is recommended by many middle schools.  So this book should be very clean, at least somewhat, right?  NO.  I only read the first six chapters- maybe not even that- but I read A LOT of language.  After a short night of cringing frequently, I handed the book off to my parents, and they found sexual content only a few chapters later.  My parents decided to search The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian on Google, and found several great reviews on it.  There was praise for the book on the fact that middle schoolers could read it.  The book was NOT for middle schoolers.  
  A little while after this, my mom received news that the Lebanon Public School had this book on the middle schoolers reading list.  And the parents of these children were okay with it!  Honestly, I was very angry.  I doubt the middle schoolers even enjoyed the plot of the story, the section which I read was not interesting.  It was written from the point of view of a high schooler who was indian in our times, and he sniffed books, he drew, and had a jerk for a friend named, Rowdy.  The characters were very lame and boring, the plot was slow and not quite understandable, and it was just inappropriate.  
  The reason why I am just now writing about a book which I found two years ago, is because there were no bad reviews on this book.  We searched several non-Christian blogs for a book review on this book, and the same with Christian blogs.  The Christian blogs did not had no reviews, and the non-Christian blogs titled them as good and wholesome books.  When I first discovered this, I vowed that someday I would write about this book, and tell everyone how horrible it is.  So there you have it, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is a horrible book.  It has sexual content, language, lame characters, and a slow plot.  
  

  I apologize for not giving a very well-written book review, but I never did finish the book, and don’t know much about it.  

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I think I heard the controversy about this being required reading. Good job handing if off to your parents! It's disappointing how many dirty books are being so acclaimed.

    ReplyDelete