Sunday, February 15, 2015

Giving Character to an Inanimate Object

One of my favorites elements in a story is when the author gives an inanimate object character.  I never even realized this until recently, so now I will be entering it into my stories.  It really is very simple to place character to an inanimate object, you just have to incorporate it into your story.  Now,  how do you do this?  It is very simple.  For an example, I will be using my home s the inainmate object. 
   1.  What are some characteristics of your home?
Inside my home, there are many different characteristics.  But one example, is the flooring of my room.  When you take your first steps inside the room, it creaks terribly loud.  This is what I would like to call, character to an inanimate object.  What are a few characteristics in your home?
   2.   Create a home for your character, and give it features
The home of your character is very important to know.  You do not need to map out a home, but I sometimes will search home layouts on the internet, to scan down an idea of my home's design.  Next you need to give it characterisitics, you can succeed in this by copying the one's from your home, or create new ones. 
   3.  How can you weave the features into your plot?
You do not need to always weave these features into the plot of your story, but it can be useful.  If you are writing a mystery, or adventure story, this could be an interesting and sued to find informatiuon or an escape.  Or there are times where they use the characterisitc of an object, to express their sadness.  Ex.  Vicki stared at the rubble, which use to be her trailer.  She hated that thing, but she couldn't help feeling sad.  She remembered how she had memorized which boards to place her feet on, to sneak out quietly.  (The example was from the Left Behind Kids series; however, it wasn't completely correct because I do not hjave the book in my possesion at this moment). 

No comments:

Post a Comment